Thursday, July 15, 2010

Design burnout

Why, on every project, do I reach the point of being sick of it? It always happens when I'm almost done... is it some of kind of personality issue I have? I remember having the same feeling with papers I wrote in college. I tire of the subject matter, and I don't even want to look at it anymore. I just want it off my plate--even projects that I'm very proud of and had so much fun creating. It's a very weird feeling. I think others become more motivated as project completion nears, but I continuously find myself yearning for something new.

I get this way on conference/publication/research interests as well. I flit from one topic to another. I have no home. I can't say, "My name is Kathy, and I'm interested in X topic," because I no sooner declare it and it's no longer completely true. Is this a consequence of too many choices? Too much information? Some type of ADD? It seems the only pieces of work I never truly tire of are learning and solving problems.

Something I realized today (thanks to Ray Jimenez and my fellow "no-lecture webinar" participants) is that social media contributors are learners themselves. I felt badly about not blogging very often and that it appears no one else ventures here and reads any of this. But, this really not about other people. This blog is part of my personal learning space, and it's primary purpose is for me. It's my way of learning and reflecting. And, since learning is what I love, I know I'll continue this process in some form or fashion. I won't burn out on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment